Past Tense is dedicated to moving you past the tensions of everyday life. We provide a welcoming, open atmosphere without pretension, where students can find joy in and support for their yoga practice. We lead with heart, foster connection, and strive to live up to the guiding principle of ahimsa or nonviolence. We can't wait to meet you!
To get started and learn more about what to expect, follow these three, simple steps.
Create an account and pick up our new-student, two-week trial, which offers unlimited yoga for fourteen consecutive days of in-studio, livestream, and on-demand classes for $50 + tax. Because we have a diverse and talented staff who teach a variety of styles, this provides an opportunity for you to try as many classes as possible and find the best fit for you. Please note, your trial pass starts on your first visit, not when you purchase the pass. We do ask students to cancel in-studio classes two hours before it starts if they can't make it, to make room for any waitlisted students.
All in-studio, adult classes are vaccinated-only and taught by vaccinated staff. Since the CDC has strengthened its recommendation on booster doses for individuals who are 18 years and older, everyone ages 18 and older should get a booster shot either when they are 6 months after their initial Pfizer or Moderna series or 2 months after their initial J&J vaccine. Please email us a photo of your vaccination card – including your booster if the second shot was more than six months prior.
There are three ways to practice with us: In-Studio, Livestream, and On-Demand. Whatever format you choose, we offer a variety of classes to help you restore balance, increase flexibility, build strength, decrease stress, and discover a deeper understanding of yourself and the world.
– Proof of up-to-date vaccination is required. Masks are optional.
– We have two locations. Past Tense is located on the second floor of 3169 Mt. Pleasant St. NW. Please note, the entrance is on Lamont St. next to the library. Look for the bright teal fence. Past Tense Alley is located at 3221 Mt. Pleasant St. NW in the alley behind Elle restaurant.
- We encourage students to bring their own mat and props, particularly two tennis or massage balls for Roll + Restore classes. We offer a limited number of mat rentals. We have bolsters, foam rollers, blocks, and straps available for you to borrow. And we also have mats, TuneUp balls, and other props available for sale at a discount at the studio.
– Please arrive 5-10 minutes early to settle in, set up your space, and connect with your instructor. Please note, we do lock the door when class begins and latecomers are not admitted.
– When you arrive at the studio, check in with the Studio Assistant at the front door, be sure to silence your cell phone, and let the instructor know prior to class if you are dealing with any injuries or have any special conditions such as pregnancy, high or low blood pressure, etc.
– Be sure to silence your cell phone.
– We ask that you remain in class through savasana and our final breaths together as early departure is disruptive to others.
There are several ways to join our livestream classes. After you register, you will receive an email with a link to class. You may also login to your account, navigate to the appropriate class on the schedule, and click on the green video camera icon.
Practice with us anytime, anywhere with our On-Demand Library of classes.